JOIN THE LITERACY EMPOWERMENT ACTION PROJECT ON OUR NEXT TRIP TO GHANA
Calling all educators, activists, librarians, and lovers of literacy! The Literacy Empowerment Action Project wants you to LEAP to the land of Gold, Ghana, for our next service mission. LEAP for Literacy 2017 kicks off on July 25, 2017, and you're invited. From your home, Accra starts the beginning of what will surely be an unforgettable experience for all. We have an ambitious schedule with an even more perfervid undertaking as we cut the ribbon on the new library in Konko Village. One week of cultural exchanges, service, wanderlust movement, beaches, sightseeing, and merriment. Don't worry, we got everything covered; so, pack your bags, invite a friend, and meet us in Accra ready to change lives and be forever changed.
LEAP for Literacy 2017 Travel Information
LEAP for Literacy 2017 kicks off July 25, 2017. We want to take everyone with us but LIMITED SPOTS ARE AVAILABLE. SECURE YOURS WITH A DEPOSIT. Here's everything you need to know and do to travel with us.
Registration is now open until Thursday, June 1, 2017.
The registration is per person and covers the following:
- Roundtrip flight to Accra, Ghana
- Transportation to and from airport
- Local ground transportation to and from all scheduled events and missions
- Double occupancy hotel accommodations (6 nights) in all cities including breakfast (*single occupancy subject to additional fee)
- Hospitality receptions/dinners + Durbur
- Entrance to Cape Coast Slave Castle
- Official LEAP for Literacy 2017 Mission T-shirt
*All guests are responsible for securing all passports and required Visas (from your local Ghana Embassy); obtaining all necessary shots, vaccinations, and medications (per the CDC); determining food allergies you may have as it relates to Ghanaian food; spending money; meals outside designated receptions and dinners. Please be prepared to present a credit card for incidentals at each hotel.
2. PAY YOUR DEPOSIT
We have locked in unbelievable rates for our flights, host hotels, registration fees include hotel stays, ground transportation, incredible hospitality receptions and so much more. Secure your spot with a $450.00 deposit and make payments on your balance in increments of $100 or more as often as you like until you're paid in full. FINAL PAYMENTS ARE TO BE PAID IN FULL ($3950 USD) BY THURSDAY, JUNE 1, 2017. NO REFUNDS WILL BE GIVEN AFTER APRIL 1, 2017. MAKE A PAYMENT
3. INVITE SOMEONE
Share this experience with friends, families, and colleagues to create even more lifelong memories.
4. COLLECT ITEMS FOR VILLAGE GIFTS
We're asking each attendee to rally their communities, schools, friends, and family around this literary impact by collecting items to disseminate or raising funds to purchase items once in Ghana. Some of the items we need to fulfill each mission include:
- School supplies - backpacks, pencils, pens, crayons, markers, composition notebooks, binders, etc.
- Feminine hygiene products - tampons, maxi-pads, feminine wipes, baby wipes, tissue, lotion, deodorant, etc.
- Toiletries - toothpaste, toothbrushes, bar soap, washcloths, men's shaving cream, shavers, etc.
- Clothing and shoes - infant to adult articles of clothing and shoes are all acceptable.
5. MEET US THERE!
LEAP for LITERACY 2017 Schedule
MONDAY, July 24
- Depart to Accra, Ghana
TUESDAY, July 25 - WEDNESDAY, July 26
- Role call!!! Step off plane, check in hotel, and get prepared for welcome reception; meeting LEAP's co-founders, advisor, board members, and executive director; and visit to authentic marketplaces, malls, and famous Labardi beach.
THURSDAY, July 27 - FRIDAY, July 28
- Travel with Queen Mother Nana Botwe Adobea II to Konko Village to participate in mini Durbur ceremony and library ribbon-cutting and dedication; missions; host joint symposium at Ashesi University in Berekuso; enjoy night-life.
SATURDAY, July 29 - SUNDAY, July 30
- Explore Ghana's Gold Coast, Cape Coast Slave Castle, and Coconut Grove's Elmina village and beach.
MONDAY, July 31
- We say goodbye to Ghana with our closing Reception Dinner in OSU, Accra before departing to United States.
*ADDITIONAL ACTIVITIES ARE STILL BEING FINALIZED; SCHEDULE SUBJECT TO CHANGE*